Foster & Adoptive Parent FAQ's
When You're Ready, You Can Select An Option Below:
FAQ's Based on Topics
What is Foster Care?
Foster Care is a temporary arrangement in which adults provide for the care of a child or children whose birth parent is unable to care for them. Whether you are interested in foster care or adoptions, our Parent Delight Specialists are eager to assist you and ensure that you are successful.
I’m afraid that I will bond and grow too attached to the children.
Believe it or not, we are glad you are thinking of all the care you can give to a child. Think of it like the opportunity to shower a child with intensive affection during a specific amount of time. One foster parent said put it this way: “I can do this because I know it’s not about me, it’s about the children. With thousands of children in need, should a child miss out on a great home?”
What Are the Requirements to Become a Resource Parent?
The most IMPORTANT requirement is to have a willing heart to care for children. Then, meet the following:
- Age: Must be at least 21 years of age
- Background: No previous negative experience with child welfare system and a background check with FBI, DOJ and Child Abuse Central Index
- Identification or Driver’s License: Possess a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance. If you do not drive, you can let us know how you can provide transportation for the children.
- Income: There is no minimum income requirements, but the prospective parent must be financially stable to not depend on the monies received from fostering.
Housing and Bedrooms: No minimum number of bedrooms required, and your home may be rented or owned.
How Much Does The Application Process Cost?
Applying is free. However, there may be some costs as you prepare to become a foster parent. For example, applicants will need to complete LiveScan (background check). However, Knotts Family Agency offers a special reimbursement program to return up to $450 per household in application expenses.
Will I Be Disqualified if Someone in My Home Has a Criminal Record?
There may be a need to process an “exemption” if there is an issue with your background check.
I’m a nurse and I had fingerprints done before, do I need to be fingerprinted again?
Most background checks for jobs include Department of Justice and FBI, but most do not include the Child Abuse Central Index, this last one required by the State of California for Resource Families. Even if you previously had fingerprints taken, it is likely that you will need to complete the LiveScan process again. Do not worry, this is a reimbursable expense at Knotts Family Agency.
I work full-time, can I be a Foster Parent?
The short and sweet answer is Yes, you can have a part-time or full-time job and be a foster parent at the same time. Naturally, this has implications for the age group you serve.
What Does the Approval Process Look Like?
At Knotts Family Agency, we have created a streamlined process. We make it very convenient for you to complete the process. Here are the primary steps in the process:
- Complete the application packets.
- Have fingerprints taken (LiveScan).
- Pre-approval training (minimum 12 hours). This may be in the comfort of your home.
- Home Inspection and Family Interviews.
- Celebration: Agency Resource Family Approval.
After Agency Approval
- Your agency-approved packet is submitted to your home county for final clearance.
- County clears home and you can begin receiving children.
- Yay! Child placed in your home!
I’m single, can I be a foster parent?
There are no marital status requirements. You may be single or married. You may have a domestic partner, spouse, or other significant other living in the home. Furthermore, Knotts Family Agency Knotts Family Agency accepts applications from adult applicants, and evaluates Resource Family Applicants for approval on a nondiscriminatory basis.
Do I Have to Own My House?
This is simple: No, home ownership is not a requirement. Also, it may be an apartment, a condo, a single-family unit, or any other. You may rent or own.
How many bedrooms do I need?
There is no limitation on bedrooms. Up to four children may share a bedroom and you may have up to six children, including other birth or adoptive children in your home.
I plan to move in the future, should I wait? Or my son is leaving to college in 2 months, should I wait?
If you have the desire to care for children, why wait? We encourage families to start the process as soon as possible. Even if we reach to the Home Inspection phase and you have not moved or your son has not moved, we can either get you approved in your current home and then update your approval documentation with the information of the new home.
How much are Foster Parents paid?
We know that if you are considering becoming a foster parent, money is not your primary concern, but we always like to provide clear and transparent information. Parents are paid based on the “Level of Care” of the child. There are currently five 5 levels.
Level of Care
Resource Family Payment
Level 1 (Basic)
Intensive Services Foster Care (ISFC)
At Knotts Family Agency, for certain sub-categories of ISFC children, we “pay” parents $3000 per month even though the state prescribed $2,609 per month.
Do I have to report the income to other private or government assistance programs?
Although some use the “payment”, in technical terms, it is considered a reimbursement for expenses. That is why the “payment” is non-taxable, meaning that the funds you receive each month are not reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Uncle Sam.
When do parents get paid?
At Knotts Family Agency, parents receive their payment between the 20-25th of each month. For example, on August 20, you will be paid for the month of July 1-30. We are always on time.
I heard all children have some type of health or psychological needs and are difficult to care for, is that true?
Children in foster care have experienced trauma. Children are not the problem. If anything, the environment they were rescued from, is the problem. In short, the answer is, no. Keep in mind that in all cases, the agency will work with you to assist you in providing the optimal care for children. Do not let the concern about children behavior keep you from your calling.
Can I choose the children? What if the child I accept is not a good match for my home?
When applying you can state your preference and the characteristics of the child(ren) that you are willing to care for. There will never be any pressure to take a child you don’t feel equipped to care for. If a child in your home appears to not be the best fit, we will work with you to try to find ways to address the concerns. If all efforts are not successful, we are able to find another home.
What happens if I have a child who is acting out or being disrespectful?
Work your magic as a parent. But if you have tried everything, please call the agency and we will assist to de-escalate the situation. If it is a life-threatening situation, and you believe your life or the life of the child is in danger, please call 9-1-1. You can rest assured that we will be responsive to you at all times.
What are the Benefits of Being A Resource Family with Knotts Family Agency?
Giving a new start to a child is priceless!
At Knotts Family Agency we are focused on Parent Delight™, which means that we work diligently to ensure that foster parents are happy and successful. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- A sense of purpose and fulfillment as you establish a nurturing relationship with a child.
- You will receive one of the highest and most generous, monthly non-taxable income in the region.
- Personal Concierge services. If you are feeling overwhelmed and need help with a personal errand (e.g. shopping, pet grooming, etc.), just let us know, and one of our Parent Delight Assistants can help you.
- Family counseling and social support.
- An attentive Counselor and Child-Parent Advocate who will visit regularly, provide counseling and resources for the care of the child.
- A Parent Success Coordinator fully focused on ensuring that parents are happy and successful.
- A State-recognized Family Written Report, also known as Home Study, which can be used if you have plans for adoptions.
- Free Pre-approval and annual training.
- Free CPR and First Aid.
- All the services other agencies provide.
- Access to KomUnity, an exclusive members-only online community of happy, empowered, prosperous, and successful foster and adoptive parents.
- Membership in an agency that will outwork others to ensure your success and happiness.
What is your special reward for timely completion?
For applicants who complete the basic paperwork within 15 days, we have a special incentive which consists of reimbursing you up to $450 for any expenses associated with the approval process. So, do not hesitate to start the process.
Thank you for the comment. Yes, you can transfer. Although it is not our intent to bring people from other agencies, you may transfer your association to Knotts Family Agency. To accomplish this the State of California has implemented “Portability”, which means that a Resource Family may transfer their Resource Family Approval (RFA) to another entity.
You are ready! At this stage, there are two groups of prospective Resource Parents:
- Group 1: Have enough information and are ready to initiate the application process.
- Group 2: Interested but need some more information before requesting an application.
Option 1: Self-service: Prospective parents in the first group, have asked us for a process that allows them to work on the application packet on their own time because they either work all day or have odd schedules. If you are ready to start the application process you can do so by clicking the “Start Guided Application” button in the next section on this page.
Option 2: Guided Application: If you need further information or guidance before you start, please go ahead and use the “book and appointment” feature lower in this page to select your appointment date and time so that our Parent Success Specialists can discuss with you any additional questions you may have.
No matter whether you choose Path 1 or Path 2, you will have a personal Parent Success Advisor who will assist you every step of the way.
Start The Application Process
I am ready and would like to initiate the application. This option takes you to the Application Form.
Schedule A Phone Consultation
I am interested in applying but would like to have a consultation appointment. This option takes you to the Consultation Booking portal.